Forest Message Board
What is it?
Forest Board is my humble attempt at writing a simple threaded message
board in python that uses CGI and flat files. It's meant to be easy to
setup, use and customise if need be.
- 20 Jun 2010 - Probably the last update. A whole bundle of fixes and code tweaks.
- 18 May 2009 - French translation by padoup-padoup created.
- 09 May 2007 - File line endings changed to Unix style and MIT licence applied.
- 03 Jul 2006 - New version available - now doesn't allow empty posts.
- Feb 2006 - Demo site available.
- 01 Nov 2005 - There was a bug in the script so links were being parsed
- 10 Oct 2005 - First release!
To run this you will require:
- Python (version 2.3 and above)
- Some sort of web server that supports CGI and will allow the script to
write out to a folder.
Forest Board can be downloaded here:
- Set up your web server/place forest.py so that it is executed as a CGI
script. You'll probably have to change the python path at the top of
forest.py and chmod the script as appropriate if you're not on Windows.
- Put the stylesheet forest.css somewhere where it will be served by the
- Edit forest.py, at the very least, altering:
There are other settings within this file, mostly self explanatory.
- DATA_PATH - Should point to a writable folder where the posts will
- CSS_PATH - Specify where the stylesheet forest.css is.
- Go to the appropriate URL and post away!
I can be contacted by email for help setting up Forest Board and general
questions, suggestions etc. You'll find my email address at the top of
Easiest though, is to post on the Wiki
The code in the download is licensed under the MIT license.
You could ask nicely and get it under the WTFPL if you like.